IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
The earbuds both have IR sensors that detect when they are being properly worn. If the earbuds are not properly worn, the touch sensor may not work, there may be no sound, you may only hear non-stereo sound, the noise canceling function may not work, or you may lose the Bluetooth connection.
- IR sensor
Both earbuds must be properly worn. When the IR sensor cannot detect one or both earbuds, such as when they are worn too loosely, the earbud tips are not attached properly, or the IR sensor is dirty, the following issues may occur:
- The touch sensor does not work on the earbud that is not detected
- The earbud that is not detected turns off after 15 minutes due to the Automatic Power Off function
- When only one of the earbuds is detected, sound is heard from both earbuds, but the sound output becomes monaural (non-stereo)
- When only one of the earbuds is detected, the Ambient Sound Mode will work only with the detected earbud
- When neither of the earbuds are detected, the Ambient Sound Mode turns off
If any of these issues occur, try the following:
- To make sure the earbuds are properly fit to your ears, refer to the How to wear the headphones properly and select most suitable earbud tips article
- Clean the IR sensor using a dry, soft cloth.
- If the issue still occurs, turn off the Automatic Power Off function in the Sony | Headphones Connect app. With this setting off, the wearing detection function is disabled.
If the issue is still not resolved, refer to the following articles: