IMPORTANT: This page introduces compatible information regarding USB HDD drives for Sony's Android TV. For a BRAVIA TV other than an Android TV, refer to: What types of USB HDDs are compatible with my TV (other than Android TV)?
USB HDDs that can be used with Sony’s Android TVs must meet the following conditions. However, Sony does not guarantee that they will operate. Use them at your own risk.
IMPORTANT: Android TV models released in 2018(*) are not compatible for USB HDD recording.
(*)A8F, A9F, W80F, X75F, X78F, X83F, X85F, X90F, Z9FSeries
- Supported file system and maximum drive size:
Max hard disk drive size For playback
For recording (*1) For storage (*2) FAT16 2GB Not supported 2GB FAT32 2TB (*3) 4TB (*4) 256GB exFat 16TB 4TB (*4) 256GB NTFS 16TB 4TB (*4) 256GB
*1: The USB HDD must be registered to the Android TV for recording (to be formatted for recording). Only applicable to Australia and New Zealand only.
*2: The USB HDD must be registered to the Android TV as device storage (to be formatted for storage). This function is available in Android OS6 (M) or later.
- For Android™ OS6(M), use a USB HDD that is 256 GB or smaller.
- For Android OS7 (N) or later, you can use a USB HDD that is 256 GB or larger, but the usable capacity is restricted to 256 GB.
*3: The maximum size of a content file that can be saved in the USB HDD is restricted to 4 GB.
*4: A USB HDD up to 16 TB can be connected, but the usable capacity is restricted to 4 TB.
NOTE: Some USB HDDs cannot be used for recording purposes.
Example: USB HDDs with capacities that are too small (less than 32 GB) cannot be used for recording purposes.
- RPM: No condition
- Read/Write speed: No condition
- USB port types and maximum output (current):
- USB3.1 Gen 1 port: 900 mA MAX. The port is blue.
- USB2.0 port: 500 mA MAX or 800 mA MAX. For the maximum output of each port, refer to the labels at the back of the TV or the manual.
NOTE: When recording, connect to the port labeled HDD REC.
USB port: Max output (current) TV label example Port image USB3.1 Gen 1 port:
900 mA MAX
USB 2.0 port:
500mA MAX, 800mA MAX
NOTE: If a USB HDD is not recognized or cannot be registered even when it is connected, refer to: Cannot recognize or register the USB HDD for recording. (Only applicable to Australia and New Zealand only).
*Android and Android TV are trademarks of Google LLC.