- Connect the camera to the computer with the USB cable.
- Turn on the camera.
- Open the Device Manager of the operating system.
- Windows® 98, 98SE, and Me: Right-click the My Computer icon, left-click Properties, left-click the Device Manager tab.
- Windows 2000 and XP: Right-click the My Computer icon, left-click Properties, left-click the Hardware tab, left-click the Device Manager button.
- Windows Vista®: Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click System and Maintenance, click the Device Manager button.
- Windows 7: Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, under Devices and Printers, click Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager window, at the left of Universal Serial Bus controllers, click the PLUS (+) symbol.
- Under Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click Sony DSC or USB Mass Storage Device to display the drop-down menu.
- In the drop-down menu, click Uninstall or Remove.
- In the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click the OK button.
- Insert the CD that was supplied with the camera into the computer CD-ROM drive.
NOTE: If your computer is running the Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 operating system, this step is not necessary. These operating systems already contain the appropriate device driver to recognize the USB connection from the camcorder.
- Restart the computer.
NOTE: After the restart, the computer should recognize the camera connection and begin reinstalling the USB driver.
- Follow any on-screen instructions to complete reinstallation of the USB driver.