Battery life is short even when the Walkman is fully charged.
How can I keep the battery life long?
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
Try the following methods to expand the battery life. Using settings/functions which prevent battery drain only when you need them also helps to expand the battery life.
- Depending on the model, some of the modes or the settings listed below may not be available. For details, refer to the manual supplied with the product.
- For NW-A100/A300/ZX500/ZX700 Series, NW-WM1AM2 and NW-WM1ZM2, refer to the Tips to maximize the battery life article.
Settings to reduce the battery consumption
- Setting a shorter time for Screen Off Timer, such as 30 seconds or 15 seconds, expands the battery life.
- Setting the brightness level of the screen to 3 expands the battery life approximately 40% longer than 5.
- A: Battery duration
- B: Brightness level 3
- C: Brightness level 5
- Setting the noise cancelling function to Off expands the battery life approximately 20 % longer than On.
- Setting the Bluetooth setting to Prioritize Connection expands the battery life approximately 25 % longer than Prioritize Sound Quality.
Settings/functions that consume a large amount of power
- Setting Playback speed (DPC) to x2.0 consumes the battery approximately 70% faster than Off.
- Using Equalizer, VPT(Surround), DSEE(Sound Enhance), Clear Stereo and Dynamic Normalizer functions consumes the battery approximately 50% faster than not using them.
- Playing back music files of high-definition music sources, such as High-Resolution Audio files, consumes more power than playing back low-definition music sources, such as MP3 files.
Note: When the battery life reduces to half of that mentioned in the supplied manual, even though you have tried the methods above, the battery may need to be replaced. You cannot replace the battery by yourself since the Walkman needs to be disassembled to replace the battery. Depending on your model, replacement of the built-in battery may not be available, please check with Sony Service Center for your service options.
About the battery life in cold environments
In cold environments, chemical reactions become weak and electrical energy lowers. The battery cannot be fully charged in a cold environment. Even if you fully charge the battery in a warmer environment, the battery life shortens when you use it in a cold environment. (If you return to a warm environment, the battery life returns to normal.)
Function to reduce deterioration of the battery
Some Walkman models are compatible with the battery care mode function. battery care mode is the function that reduces deterioration of the battery by not charging the battery fully (100% of full charge). When this function is activated, charging stops at about 90 % of the full charge. In the Battery Care mode, the first bar of the battery indicator will disappear somewhat more quickly than normal.