• To encrypt data, the file system needs NTFS format.
• Files and folders in Windows Vista Home Basic and Windows Vista Home Premium cannot be encrypted.
*To check the edition of the installed Operating System, please see this FAQ - [Windows Vista]How to check OS edition equipped in
1. Click the Start button -> Computer, and point to any file or folder.
2. Right-click the files or folders to encrypt and click Properties.
3. Select the General tab and click the Advanced button.
4. Select Encrypt contents to secure data and click the OK button.
5. On the *** (*** is folder name) properties screen, click the OK button.
6. The Confirm properties modification screen will be displayed.
*If encrypting folders only, choose Apply changes to this folder only and click the OK button.
*If encrypting both files and folders, choose Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files and click the OK button.
After encrypting files, the Warns about encrypt screen will be displayed. If encrypting files only, choose only files encrypted, and click the OK button.When encrypting files and folders of saved files, choose Files and other folders encrypted, and click OK the button.
7. When the Access Denied screen is displayed, proceed to Step 6.
If this screen is not displayed, the above settings have been completed.
8. Click the Continue button.
10. When the User Accounts Control message appears, click the Continue button.
*After completing the encryption, a hint balloon on taskbar may be displayed: You are recommended to click on the balloon, make a copy of the file encryption certificate and key.
Please refer to the steps below to perform back up.
1. Click Back up now (recommended).
2. Click the Next button.
3. Choose any item and click the Next button.
4. Input any password in Password and Type and confirm password (mandatory) column, and click the Next button.
5. Input the exported file name in File name column, or click Browse to select the export file location.
6. Click the Next button.
7. Click the Finish button.