Full Specifications & Features
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 24.4 x 51.7 x 88.9 mm (including supplied battery)
- 114 g (including supplied battery)
- Sensor Type
- 1/2.3"-type back-illuminated Exmor R™ CMOS sensor
- Effective Pixels (Video)
- Effective Pixels (Still Image)
- Approx. 8.8MP (16:9)
- Lens Type
- ZEISS® Tessar® Lens
- F-Number (maximum aperture)
- 120° (with SteadyShot™);170° (without SteadyShot™)
- Focal Length (35mm) (Video)
- f=17.1mm (170°), f=21.8mm (120°)
- Focal Length (35mm) (Still Image)
- f=17.1mm (170°), f=21.8mm (120°)
- Minimum Focus Distance
- Approx. 50cm
- SteadyShot™ electronic image stabilisation
- Exposure Mode
- Minimum Illumination
- 6 lux (1/30 Shutter Speed)
- White Balance Modes
- Auto / Color Temp / Custom
- Shutter Speed
- Auto Control Range: 1 / 30 - 1 / 10000
- Image Processor
- BIONZ X™
- Scene Selection
- Auto, Underwater
- Other Shooting Functions
- Noise Reduction, Burst Shooting, Motion Shot LE, Wind Noise Reduction, Interval Recording, Live Streaming, Image Stabilization, Loop Recording
- Up to 10 m with supplied SPK-X1 case
- With supplied SPK-X1 case
- With supplied SPK-X1 case
- Compatible Recording Media
- XAVC S 4K(100Mbps): micro SDXC/SDHC memory card (UHS-I U3 or higher), XAVC S 4K(60Mbps)/XAVC S HD(50Mbps): micro SDXC/SDHC memory card (Class10 or higher), MP4/Still: Memory Stick Micro™ (Mark 2), micro SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card (Class 4 or higher). To use micro SDHC memory card, firmware of camera may be required.
- Recording Format (Video)
- MP4 (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264), XAVC S (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)
- Recording Format (Still Image)
- DCF Ver.2.0 compatible, Exif Ver.2.3 compatible, MPF Baseline compatible
- Video Resolution
- MP4: PS:1920x1080 60p/50p, MP4 HQ:1920x1080 30p/25p, MP4 HS120 (HS100):1280x720 120p/100p, MP4 HS240 (HS200):800x480 240p/200p, MP4 STD:1280x720 30p/25p, XAVC S 120p:1920x1080 120p/100p, XAVC S 240p:1280x720 240p/200p, XAVC S 24p:1920x1080 24p, XAVC S 30p:1920x1080 30p/25p, XAVC S 4K 24p:3840x2160 24p, XAVC S 4K 30p:3840x2160 30p/25p, XAVC S 60p:1920x1080 60p/50p
- Video Recording Rate (ABR / VBR)
- MP4 PS:approx.28Mbps / HQ:approx.16Mbps / STD:approx.6Mbps / HS120:approx.28Mbps / HS240:approx.28Mbps, XAVC S 4K 3840x2160 30p/25p/24p: Approx. 60Mbps / Approx.100Mbps, XAVC S HD 1920x1080 120p/100p: Approx. 60Mbps / Approx. 100Mbps 1280x720 240p/200p: Approx. 60Mbps / Approx.100Mbps 1920x1080 60p/50p: Approx. 50Mbps 1920x1080 30p/25p/24p: Approx.50Mbps
- Still Image Size (Photo Mode)
- Photo Mode: Approx. 8.8 MP 16:9 (3952x2224), Interval Photo Recording Mode Approx.2.1 MP 16:9 (1920x1080), Motion Shot LE Photo Recording Mode Approx.2.2 MP 16:9 (1984x1120)
- Audio Recording Format
- MP4/MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch, XAVC S/LPCM 2ch
- Built-in stereo microphone
- Monaural Speaker
- Input and Output Terminals
- 4K micro HDMI output, HD micro HDMI output, Memory card slot, Multi/micro USB terminal, Stereo minijack
- Playback Modes
- Fast Playback (about 5 times / 10 times)
- Power Requirements
- 3.6V (battery pack)
- Battery Type
- NP-BX1 (supplied)
- Power Consumption (LCD Screen)
- Approx. 2.0W
What's In The Box
- Live-view remote (RM-LVR2)
- Waterproof case (SPK-X1)
- Adhesive mount
- Rechargeable battery pack (NP-BX1)
- Micro USB cable
Shoot in low light with Exmor R™ CMOS Sensor
Faithfully reproduce every aspect of the scene, even in low light. The Exmor R CMOS sensor’s distinct design puts wiring behind the light-capturing photo sites for vastly improved sensitivity and reduced noise. Combined with higher-speed parallel signal processing and more rapid signal conversion, images have a wider dynamic range and rich gradations for intense detail and clarity.
BIONZ X™ for superior detail and texture
All digital cameras need to convert the light captured by their sensor to a beautiful digital photograph. The engine that powers this conversion is just as important as your lens and a high-resolution sensor--so Sony developed the remarkable BIONZ X processor, allowing more natural details, more realistic images, richer tonal gradations, and lower noise while shooting both photos and movies.
World-renowned ZEISS optics
Leveraging over 150 years of experience in precision optics, the ZEISS lens gives your recordings intense contrast and sharpness, free from glare and reflection thanks to an advanced multi-layer coating.
Sharp, ultra-wide 170° lens
Get epic wide-angle views with the 170˚ ZEISS Tessar® lens. Or switch to a SteadyShot™-stabilized 120˚ view. Either way, you'll always be capturing beautiful shots of the most challenging ski slopes, mountain trails, or pitted asphalt paths.
Full pixel readout without pixel binning
The sensor reads out image data from every pixel which frees the video from aliasing, moire and false color artifacts.
High bit rate to get all the subtle details
Your footage will feature smooth, high-quality images thanks to the high-bitrate 4K/100Mbps and Full HD/50Mbps shooting capability.
Built-in stereo mic captures quality sound
Make a great movie better with great audio; built-in stereo microphone allows you to capture sounds of you adventure sterically and naturally, while the Wind Noise Reduction feature deserves a clear sound track.
XAVC S for pro-level recording
Sony’ s professional grade codec is available in consumer cameras for stunningfootage at home with high-bitrate recording.
Advanced SteadyShot™ beats bumps and blur
From the rockiest trail to exciting cycling – you want to shoot crisp, clear video your audience will actually enjoy watching. And better yet, advanced SteadyShot™ is more effective against low-amplitude vibration—such as that from radio-controlled helicopters. So now you can get amazing panoramic shots from your drone with shake-free clarity.
Motion Shot LE
Capture an entire action sequence in a single frame. This feature creates a composite image of a subject in motion, with variable settings for different burst speeds, which are: 10fps/1 second, 5fps/2 seconds, and 2fps/5 seconds.
Capture fast-moving action with burst shooting. This allows you to capture maximum of 10 high-quality shots of a trick or transition, making it the perfect feature for those who love go back and analyze their style. Settings are 10fps/1sec, 5fps/2sec, and 2fps/5sec.
Live Streaming via Ustream®
Share ski runs, killer waves (and wipeouts) in real time. Stream scenes as they happen with high-quality picture and sound.
Convenient Loop Recording
Body CopyDon’t worry about missing the perfect moment with loop recording. Loop overwrite shooting can be chosen with duration options of 5, 20, 60, 120 minutes, or “unlimited”. Use it to capture the decisive moment without worrying about running out of capacity.
Manual control for pro-style movies
Explore sophisticated shooting features for pro-style movies. Use advanced manual settings like white balance and AE shifting, and optimise brightness and hue to match images of other camcorders for easier movie editing.
Interval Still Recording lets you get creative with videos
Capture subtle movement with detail and precision. Interval recording takes a still photo every 5, 10, 30 or 60 seconds, so they can be stitched together into a time-lapse video. This is especially useful for continuous recording over a prolonged period.
Highlight Movie Maker for speedy workflow
Save time by quickly finding your highlight points and start editing immediately. Highlight Movie Maker will also take the best scenes automatically and create a highlight movie—complete with background music. You can also share your work immediately by using smartphone.
Full command with Live-View Remote
RM-LVR2 let you make use of on-site playback and footage checking, and delete unnecessary footage to optimise recording capacity.
Multi Camera Control
Use up to five cameras to get exciting ground-up or head-down shots. And control them all effortlessly with the optional Live-view wrist remote and smartphone with PlayMemories Mobile™ app.
GPS Data Overlay on Video
GPS Data Overlay on Video reads your speed data recorded by built-in GPS and generates another video file that displays speed information, etc. You can upload the video file with speed information on the Internet and share your experience with many viewers.
Action Cam Movie Creator lets you make impressive slow-mo movie or fast-forward effect easily.You can change playback speed of selected portion slower(x1/2, x1/4, x1/8) or faster (x2, x4, x8, x16).
Add music to edited video
Add favourite melodies — even your own tunes — to the movie you’re editing as soundtrack music, and create your own movie style.
4-video editing with Video Merge
Video Merge lets you combine up to four movie footage segments (even slow-motion parts) captured simultaneously by different cameras, and make a split-screen composite. With this unique feature anyone can create impressive movies without mastering complex editing software. Available in PlayMemories Home.
Video flip feature
Upside-down Flip function is especially useful when the Action Cam is shooting from an inverted position. Select a special setting prior to operation so the camera will capture footage in standard orientation.
Rugged waterproof housing with tripod mount
Sealed in the housing, the camera is waterproof down to 10m for water surface and has a shock resistance. Additionally, dirt- and dust-resistant seals make it nearly impervious to mud, snow, rain, and grit.
Built-in tripod socket
Built-in tripod socket means you can quickly attach your Action Cam to a tripod for rock-steady shots.
Splashproof design shrugs off water
If you’re preparing for a day in the mountains, leave the waterproof case behind – the splashproof design can handle the elements, thanks to its IPX4-class rating. This Action Cam will also attach straight to a tripod without the need for the case.
Compatible with MemoryStick Micro and Micro SD / SDHC / SDXC
The memory card slot accepts Memory Stick Micro™ (M2) and Micro SD / SDHC / SDXC Memory Card (class 4 or higher) memory cards. Choose the card best suited to your shooting requirements and compatibility with your PC. (Memory cards not supplied.)